Junior Program Officer Food Security and Rural Well-being ReliefWeb in null
The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyze action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. Adapting to impacts of climate change provides a “win-win” for health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security and economic growth. The work of the GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats. GCA is a rapidly growing organization with offices in Abidjan, Beijing, Dhaka, Groningen, and Rotterdam.
The GCA has an ambitious 2020-2025 business plan with three pillars:
• Programs: GCA’s Programs include: Food Security; Using Nature for more resilient infrastructure; Water for Urban Growth and Resilience; Climate Finance; Youth Leadership
• Knowledge: Building adaptation knowledge globally and in countries through cutting edge knowledge products such as the State and Trends in Adaptation Report; Data and Knowledge Platform
• Advocacy and Awareness: Formulating policy messages to move adaptation agenda forward globally and in countries.
GCA’s work program in Africa is of paramount importance. All of the components of GCA’s Business Plan must succeed to support changing the momentum and pace of adaptation in Africa. Guiding GCA’s program in Africa are two flagships: 1) Africa Adaptation Accelerator Program (AAAP), co-created and implemented with African Development Bank Group (AfDB) to support African countries on key adaptation initiatives; and 2) State and Trends in Adaptation: Africa, a flagship knowledge publication prepared with the Africa Adaptation Initiative (AAI), and regional and global knowledge partners to advance the knowledge base and provide evidence-based knowledge for African countries to take stock of progress and develop improved adaptation measures.
ABOUT THE ROLE
GCA seeks a dynamic individual to fill the role of Junior Program Officer Food Security and Rural Well-being working as a core team member to drive forward the Global Center on Adaptation’s role as a solutions broker in the field of adaptation action. The primary focus of this work will be in Africa.
The Junior Program Officer Food Security and Rural Well-Being will report to the Program Lead while working closely with other members of the Leadership Team, thematic leads and colleagues. S/he will play a key role in positioning the GCA as the foremost international organization specialising in climate change adaptation.
· Preparing a weekly update for the team and other reporting tasks.
· Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in development economics, agricultural economics, agronomy or another degree relevant to the position.
· Excellent analytical skills around adaptation in smallholder agriculture,
· Excellent written and oral communications skills in English; Knowledge of French language will be an advantage
· Excellent interpersonal skills and experience of working in international, intercultural environments.